Sunday, November 8, 2009

Wrestler-Broadcaster Adam Firestorm Commits Suicide at 32

Adam Dykes, who worked for independent pro wrestling promotions in British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest as “Adam Firestorm,” committed suicide last Thursday night. He was 32 and leaves a wife and a young son.

I happened to be the last guest he interviewed on Ringside Live, the blogcast he co-hosted with Ian Hamilton. The interview was taped Wednesday and broadcast Friday night.

After the interview Wednesday, I sent an email to producer Colin Vassallo, thanking them for having me on Ringside Live and asking him to forward to Ian and Adam my appreciation of their intelligent questions.

I also looked at Adam’s bio at TheRingsideLive.com, which stated that he had won his only match against Bryan Alvarez, another indie wrestler in the region and the publisher of Figure Four Weekly. Bryan confirmed this. (Bryan was going to be the next guest on the show this coming Friday.)

On Saturday morning, I received an email from Colin saying that Adam had died. Later in the day SLAM! Wrestling reported that it was a suicide.

Though I did not know Adam except for this single interaction, it is apparent that he had a large network of friends. I extend my sincere condolences to all of them, and to his family.



Irv Muchnick

No comments: